Royal Artillery Officers
Although officers of the Regiment were initially not interested in joining the R.A.Club,( their interest being concentrated on the formation of a branch,) it would be seriously wrong to disregard the influence that R.A. officers had in the formation of both the Club and the Branch but more so on their support towards the Royal Artillery Association .
During WW2 the existence of the RAA was at risk due to the serious financial situation it found itself in. Branches all over the country were closing due to members being called up, families were unable to cope, claims to the R.A.Benevolent Fund increased, helping next-of-kin to send parcels to prisoners of war, protecting War Memorials was becoming too much of a burden, very little subscriptions were coming in so it was left to the officers to make up the deficit, by 1940 over 16 thousand officers were paying a subscription to the R.A.A. this no doubt secured the future of the Association.
Officers who made a vital contribution towards the success of the Club and Branch were:
Col. J. Hutchison V.C. and Captain Walker, unlike their colleagues at the time, were prepared to serve on both Club and Branch committees.
Major W. Ritchie and Captain L.R. Craddock, take the credit for establishing the Club and Branch, served on both committees for 15 and 17 years respectively.
Brigadier A.D.M. Teacher was Commander of the newly formed 1st Airlanding Light Regiment and led it in the D-Day landings in June 1944.
He became President of the R.A.Club 1958 and was responsible for the Club obtaining photographs of Her Majesty The Queen and HRH, The Duke of Edinburgh personally signed by them, during his term of office the Master Gunner and senior members of the Regiment and Artillery House were no strangers to the Club, he left office in 1965.
Captain Peter Ellis, Secretary of the Scottish Region R.A.A. took over from the Brigadier as President of the Club in 1966, his appointment and his assistance with the Club Secretary brought about the re-introduction of the Glasgow Branch as an individual organisation separate from the Club.
Due to re-organisation of the Scottish Region he was unable to continue as President of the Club and stood down in 1972.
Colonel I.C.Campbell was elected President of the Club in 1973 and was the longest serving President in the Club's history, he was highly respected by all the members and was always on hand to offer advice or help when required, he remained in office until the Club closed in 1991.
Major W.H.Campbell, Secretary, Scottish Region R.A.A. The Major as every gunner in the Scottish Region knew him, became Vice-President of the Club in 1973, but it was his work as Secretary of the Region that made him an Honorary member of virtually every branch in the Region, his organisation of the inter-branch bowling competition and his ability to get all the branches working and socialising with each other was second to none. Like Colonel Campbell, he remained Vice-President of the Club until 1991.
It is a regret that the officers mentioned in the Branch Office Bearers 1928-34 did not wish to be associated with a club, but that we give great credit to all those mentioned in this article for having the foresight to see that it was in the interest of all gunners to have a strong Club and a thriving Branch, one to look after the social needs and promote friendship, the other to help and assist all gunners and their families where necessary, both working towards the same goal, comradeship and friendship. The following officers were members of the Branch but not the Club.
Sir Arch McInnes Shaw CB VD LLD DL
Lt. Col. W Kinnear DSO TD
Col. P Grant TD
Lt. Col. H.O. Hutchieson DSO MC
Lt. Col. G.C.J. Spiers MC TD
Major Sir W. Ried
Major J. Grant
Captain A. Caven
Col. C. McLeod Robertson DSO TD DL
Lt. Col. R.R.Stewart TD
Lt. Col. W. Watson MC TD
Major J.G. Craik
From 1942 at the request from R.A.A. London, the R.A. Club Glasgow was responsible for electing office bearers to act as Branch officials and to carry out all Association business.
Other responsibilities were looking after the War Memorial Houses, the Club auditor to act as factor, and the Committee to interview and recommend to Headquarters suitable applicants to be considered for any future vacancy that may arise.
This was the situation until 1966, when it was agreed that the Branch should once more be reinstated as an independent organisation.
The Club Secretary agreed to act as Chairman of the Branch and to negotiate with London on the transfer of funds held by the Club in the name of the defunct West of Scotland District (£500)
London were insisting that when the Branch closed the money should have been returned to Artillery House, the Club Secretary refused to hand over the bank books on the grounds that the money was raised by the original Glasgow Branch and that it should now be used to help with the reinstatement of the Glasgow Branch.
The matter was referred to Lord Dunpark, Chairman of the Scottish Region who agreed with Mr. Park, it was then agreed that all Club office bearers would stand down to allow other members to stand for election, so that the Branch could act independently from the Club, it was also agreed that it would be in the interest of the Branch if Mr.Park were to remain Chairman.
The Glasgow Branch continued to hold their meetings in the R.A.Club until 1990 when they decided to move to the T.A.Centre in Crow Road where they still meet the 3rd Wednesday of each month.