Royal Artillery Club, Glasgow
How it all began
“Glasgow in the late twenty's was like any other Scottish city, trying to come to terms with mass unemployment, poor conditions and the struggle to make ends meet.
One group of men who considered themselves more fortunate than others were the Gunners of the two Royal Artillery T.A. Units stationed in West Princes Street and Taylor Street in Townhead.
They decided to help by going round the more affluent parts of Glasgow asking for food and clothing which they distributed to those in most need.
While there was no difficulty in handing out the food , finding storage space for clothing and other items collected was causing quite a problem, initially they were given permission to use the stores in the T.A.centres. when this was withdrawn the idea of starting a Club , not just for social reasons, but also to use as a distributing centre ,was formed .
About the same time a group of Artillery officers were already members of the R.A.Association and had elected a secretary who was responsible for collecting their subscriptions and passing them on to London.
While they recognised themselves as being a Branch they realised that only by accepting the general rules of the Royal Artillery Association could Glasgow be accepted as a Branch, the officers were agreed that should a meeting be called to consider the formation of a branch they would give it their full support, and if successful, would hand over their membership cards and subscriptions to the new administration.
On 1st November 1928 the first meeting to consider the formation of a Branch and Club took place, although the elected Chairman found it necessary to explain the difference between Branch and Club, it was agreed that everyone would work together towards the establishment of both.
However, over a period of time and as the meetings progressed, less officers were taking an active interest in the running of the branch while the club was gaining a lot of support, by 1935 the activities of the branch had more or less become the responsibility of the club who were looking after the interests of all members, fortunately some officers had shown a great interest in the success of both club and branch, this brought a response from RA Headquarters in London who asked the club to take over the full running of the branch, i.e., electing office bearers , looking after the war memorial houses, the club auditor to act as factor, and in general all Association business, this was the situation that lasted through to the late sixties, when the branch was once again reinstated as a separate organisation.
Copy of the original Minutes.